Friday, April 7, 2017
Recently recognizes by Expansion Management magazine as a “Five-Star Quality of Life Metro,” the community of Ames, Iowa continues to rank among the top in the nation for its highly-educated work force, excellent public schools, and as one of the best locations to live, work and play in the United States. Whether you’re planning on visiting Ames for work, are here to catch an Iowa State University game, or have recently moved to the area, you’ll find that Ames Iowa has so much to offer its residents and visitors. From rich and stimulating culture full of museums, historic neighborhoods, to award-winning health care and recreational services, Ames offers all the amenities of the big city in a safe and charming community.
What Ames Iowa Has to Offer
As a family real estate team that has lived, worked and played in Ames for decades, it is our pleasure to introduce you to the myriad of activities and attractions here in Ames. We’ve put together this list of “Top 10 Things to Do in Ames Iowa” to help you get better acquainted with our community – whether moving here or visiting. Let’s take a look!
- Catch a Big 12 Conference Game with the Iowa State University Cyclones. Take in a football, soccer, softball, wrestling or tennis event and cheer the Cyclones on to victory. Many area residents enjoy supporting our local teams, and many have even become members of the Cyclone Club.
- Enjoy an Afternoon at the Reiman Gardens. Also located at Iowa State University, the Reiman Gardens rests on more than 17-acres and offers year-round attractions including both indoor and outdoor gardens. A conservatory with seasonal displays also attracts visitors, as does the 2,500-square foot Butterfly Wing. Learn about plants, insects and environmental stewardship while you reconnect with nature and your family.
- Explore the Prairie Moon Winery and Vineyards. Spend the afternoon at this family owned and operated winery that is known for producing regional wines with character. Complete with a large banquet hall, the winery is home to numerous events throughout the year.
- Play a Round at the Veenker Memorial Golf Course. Home to the Iowa State University’s Men’s and Women’s golf teams, as well as the Iowa Masters Golf Tournament, the Veenker Memorial Golf Course is an world-class facility that will challenge even the most talented golfers.
- Visit the Ames Main Street Farmers’ Market. Every Saturday from May through September, the Farmer’s Market brings local food and fun to the heart of Ames. This is a popular attraction with local residents and visitors.
- Take in a Concert with the Central Iowa Symphony. The Central Iowa Symphony offers concerts throughout the year and enables students, dedicated amateurs and professional musicians to present area music lovers with an exciting list of events.
- Shop the North Grand Mall with Friends. The North Grand Mall, Ames’ premier shopping location, offers all your favorite national and local specialty stores including JC Penny, Younkers, Kohl’s, and T.J. Maxx.
- Take the Kids to the Story City Antique Carousel. Located just outside of Ames, the Story City Carousel was built in 1913 by Hershel/Spillman and features horses, pigs, roosters, dogs and chariots. It is typically open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Spend the Day at the Furman Aquatic Center. Located in the heart of Ames, the Furman Aquatic Center offers a 50-meter pool, zero-depth water playground, lazy river and three exciting water slides. Both residents and visitors love spending summer days cooling off with friends at the pool.
- Take in an Exhibit at the Brunnier Art Museum. The state’s only accredited museum emphasizing a decorative arts collection and one of the nation’s few museums located with a performing arts complex, the Brunnier Art Museum was founded in 1975. Located on the Iowa State University campus, admission is free.
These are just a few of the many wonderful attractions and adventures that we consider as the Top 10 Things to Do in Ames Iowa. When you choose to explore Ames real estate for your primary home, all of this and more can be just minutes from your front door. At Miller & Clark, we welcome you to browse our website to begin your online home search. When you’re ready to take a tour of the community and its housing options, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you home to Ames. Let’s get started today!